15 year old teenage male that presents to medical clinic with asthma exacerbation with a parent. He has played a football game this week in the cold, damp weather. He has 2 day history of non-productive cough, shortness of breath, and wheezing. Participants should do a thorough history (medication RX and OTC and have access to his EHR, past medical, social, nutrition, etc,) and physical assessment.
1. Conducts focused respiratory assessment.
2. Identifies abnormal respiratory examination findings.
3. Uses critical thinking and problem solving skills to provide appropriate interventions.
4. Administers appropriate treatment for asthma exacerbation.
5. Obtains and evaluates appropriate diagnostic data. (CBC, CXR, Peak flow)
6. Educates patient and mother about treatment of respiratory distress.
7. Evaluates response to treatment.
8. Reinforces asthma education with patient and family.
9. Communicates effectively by providing full SBAR to the provider.
10. Uses therapeutic communication.
Family medicine, Pediatrics, Pulmonology