This virtual simulation will give students the opportunity to learn how to use a Human Non-Playing Character (NPC) Translator to best care for a patient that is non-English speaking. The virtual environment will also give students the opportunity to practice respecting a diverse culture (Spanish), along with therapeutic communication techniques, improve the quality (screen for postpartum depression) and safety (teach infant car seat safety).
1. Exercise the use of an interpreter when caring for a non-English speaking postpartum patient.
2. Apply therapeutic communication techniques while using an interpreter during PP visit.
3. Evaluate the patient’s understanding of the speech translation of the material – infant car seat safety by utilizing patient teach back.
4. Evaluate the results of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale
5. Communicate results with the OB/GYN”
Obstetrics and gynecology, Psychiatry/Mental Health